The Assistant Manager is primarily responsible to work with the Store Manager to achieve Sales and Profits to their store. The Assistant Manager shall be responsible for the coverage of the store during operating hours. The Assistant Manager shall have general knowledge on all aspects of retailing. The Assistant Manager shall be available to work hours and days required by Company policy to maintain their designated hours of Part Time, Regular Part Time, or Full Time. The Assistant Manager shall be available to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to understand, communicate, and follow instructions.
- Ability to prioritize work and projects.
Leadership, Training and Staff Development
- Supports a positive attitude toward Company policies.
- Take initiative on projects and self-reliant
- Giving credit to others for understanding performance and service.
- Embrace changes and works with a sense of urgency.
- Commits to training standards that yield improved store operations.
- Consistent training every week.
- Knowledge of the Company’s benefits.
- Provides constructive criticism to improve the store operations
- Primary communication is with the Store Manager
- Timely communication of problems to the appropriate departments.
- Encourage an open door policy- effective quality circles.
- Feedback to Buyers on customer’s needs and wants.
- Communication of Company policies and procedures.
- All company related information is kept confidential
- Assistants are required to be on the sales floor the majority of the time.
- Promotes and displays a high quality customer service among associates.
- Resolve customer complaints and problems.
- Process refunds and exchanges.
- Train new associates on customer service fundamentals.
Managing Store Funds
- Audit safe funds, bus passes, petty cash, and other controlled items
- Cash handling check charts
- Balancing daily sales
- Controlled cash pulls
- Opening store properly
- Closing the store properly
- Assess the condition of the store – exterior and interior
- Masterwork board use in giving directions and duties
- Warehouse orderly and organized
- Salary % and hours controlled
- Voids, returns, refunds, exchanges, damages, trash control
- Knowledge of Operating, Profit & Loss reports
- Maintain positive vendor relationships
- Ability to make sales and profit projections
- Maintain safe and secure work environment
- Knowledge of internal and shrink controls
- Receiving and checking procedures
- Inventory control: stock control cards, deals, ordering, pricing, stocking, out-of-stocks, interstore transfers, invoices, price changes, and claim procedures
- Overbought controls, new product controls, and deadstock action taken
- Complete taping
- Salesfloor free of outdates
- Maintain good morale by treating everyone with respect and dignity.
- Schedule posted timely
- Proper coverage and fair scheduling of associates
- Knowledge of Kronos and accurate record keeping
- Maintaining a positive store environment free of harassment and discrimination
- Timely recording, tracking, counseling and documentation
- Training and coaching new hires
- Maintain high standards that reflects the ABC Stores/Hawaiian Casuals/Island Favorite image. Interior and Exterior – clean, will-lit, proper signage, priced, stocked, and ALWAYS ready for business.
- Take action on memos
- Knowledge of POS reports, item movements, and mapping
- Knowledge of State and Federal employment laws
- Knowledge of liquor and tobacco regulations – no sales to minors
- Knowledge of ADA and shoplifting arrest rules
- Retail literate. Has strong knowledge of retail. Has good feel for the business.
- Conceptual skills. Has the capacity to think systematically, logically, creatively, and rationally.
- Track record. Has done it before and done it well.
- Has the ability to recognize good merchandising and good people.
- Makes good decisions with imperfect data.
- High energy level, performs, multi-faceted projects in day-to-day activities.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work with diverse personalities, tactful, mature, and flexible.
- Good communications skills – written and verbal.
- Participated management style, team player, disinterested in internal politics.
- Assertive and persuasive.
- High standards of moral and ethical conduct.
- Has sufficient visual acuity to check identification, check cash register receipts, and process money/charge card transactions.
- Be able to read instructions to operate electronic cash registers and other equipment.
- Be able to lift up to 30 lbs, carry cases of milk cartons, soft drinks, beer, bottled water, and juice containers.
- Be able to stock shelves and coolers.
- Be able to react to a fire by lifting a fire extinguisher weighing 15 lbs and moving it to the fire.
- Be able to tolerate exposure to road dust, house dust, gasoline fumes (for stores with gasoline pumps) and cleaning products.
- Be able to sweep and mop floors, dust shelves, and lift and carry out trash containers to an outside trash bin.
- Be able to clean the parking lot and grounds surrounding the store.
- Be able to work at a temperature of 40 degrees up to 5 minute at a time.
- Be able to differentiate among similar appearing merchandise (distinguishing color differences and small details).
- Be able to observe the customer flow in the store (incoming and outgoing customer traffic). Be able to respond promptly to any call from the alarm company in case of emergency while the store is closed.
- Be able to qualify for First Aid certification as required by OSHA, and be able to render First Aid during emergency of life threatening situations.
To perform the job successfully, an individual is required demonstrate the following competencies:
- Attendance/Punctuality - Must be able to consistently report to work on time as scheduled
- Verbal Communication - Listens and gets clarification.
- Teamwork - Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit
- Cost Consciousness - Conserves organizational resources.
- Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment.
- Dependability – Consistenyly follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Asks for and offers help when needed; ability to work under minimal supervision
- Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Quality - Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Completes work in timely manner; Works quickly and efficiently
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Language Ability - Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the Company.
- Math Ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.